Comicon London May 2014

20:43:00

Heya,

Last Sunday I went to London with my friends to attend Comicon. In case you are unsure of what Comicon actually is, it is a large scale Comic and Popular Arts convention, where most people dress up as characters they love.
This was my first time at Comicon, with it being the second time for my friends who attended last October. I decided to go along this time out of curiosity and good reviews from those who went last time. I am not really into comics and the sort of things that the convention involves, however I thought I’d go for the social side of things.
As promised to those who follow me on Instagram and Twitter, I have put together this post to tell you about my experience and the costumes I saw there.
So as I said before, I went with my friends, there were 3 of us in total. I dressed up as Mario and my friend Lydia, dressed up as Luigi, to create the Mario Brothers. This relates to us both as we are practically like sisters, so it made sense! We both made our costumes by purchasing items from High Street stores, making sure we could wear them again in the future.


Mario:
·        Red Top- ASDA £3.00
·        Dungarees- New Look- £10.00 (last year)
·        Bow Socks- Topshop £3.50
·        Shoes- Vans- Office £42.99 
·        Hat- Amazon £8.34 (for two)
Luigi:
·        Green Top- New Look
·        Dungarees- New Look £24.99
·        Frill Socks- Topshop £3.50
·        Shoes- Slazenger £4.50
·        Hat- Amazon £8.34 (for two)

My other friend, Rosie, dressed up as the Queen of Hearts, again the same as us, creating her costume using items from the High Street that she can wear again or already owns. The cute little white hearts on her dress were hand-crafted and sewn on by herself, to give a unique finish.


QueeoHearts:
  • ·        Dress (without hearts)- Boohoo £20.00
  • ·        Boots- already owned
  • ·        Gloves- already owned

We caught an early train up to London, catching tube after tube to reach the venue of the event. In October, the queues to get in were apparently super long, however to our surprise; there were no queues at all!  We strolled right in, without a care in the world, until we reached the food hall. None of us had had breakfast because of the super early start and thought we may as well get something when we arrived, by this time we were starving and willing to eat just about anything! We found Costa Coffee also to find a long queue of lots of other hungry cosplayers (I believe they are Called)! Another long wait for food was ahead of us!


 Once food was ordered and eaten, we bumped into some of my other friends, Lauren, Becky and Martina, all dressed up fantastically!  Lauren was dressed as Alice, from Alice in Wonderland. She again also bought items of the High Street that could be worn again. I loved her costume so much; she looked so pretty and Alice-like! Becky wore an amazing Mad Hatter costume which seemed to go down very popular with the other people at the event as she had a lot of people coming up to her asking for photos! Martina was dressed as Pocahontas in an amazing costume that was so accurate!

Alice in Wonderland, The Mad Hatter, Pocahontas

Alice In Wonderland:
·        Blue Dress- ASOS £20.00
·        Tights- Internacionale
·        Shoes- Internacionale
Mad Matter:
·        Whole Costume (6 piece) – Amazon  £34.99

Pocahontas:
·        Whole costume- Amazon £16.05

At the event there were 2 halls full of all sorts of stalls and games. Each stall was categorised into a section, for example all the comics were together and all the Anime were together. Even after looking round each hall about 100 times, I still don’t think I saw everything. There were also stalls that sold things like jewellery and clothing. There was this amazing clothing stall called 'Kaotichandbag' that sold all things comics! This company is owned by a lovely lady who makes all of the items, minus a few, although these are still all handmade. The company is based in Bournemouth where she has a shop, however she also has a website, eBay-shop and Facebook page; you have to take a look at these amazing products!

There was also a fantastic range of food stalls, from Chinese to Japanese, Italian to Burgers. Yum-yum!
Across the day, we all had our photos taken with various people, some of the photos we took others we were approached for! Below see some of the great outfits others wore!

To finish the day off, once we had finished at the convention, we took a stroll out of the venue and caught the Cable Carts across the River Themes where we caught a fantastic view of the Docklands and London. I had never been on these before and was a little nervous, but I am SO glad we did as it was amazing! The view and the ride!
Left: The Cable Carts. Right: The view from the Cable Carts
Overall I had a fabulous day out at Comicon and in London; I will definitely be going again!
Hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post. It is something different that I hope you have enjoyed! Please drop a comment if you would like to see more posts like this.

Love Emily x


More Images from the day: 










You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Amazing post emz! Your outfits (M&L) looked so awesome on the day!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews